Here at Bucks Foot Clinic, we get a lot of clients that complain about ingrown toenail infections. This issue is very common, and one of the leading reasons it occurs so often is simply because you wear shoes that don’t fit you right. It’s very important to keep track of your ingrown toenail so it doesn’t turn into an ingrown toenail infection.
You should always look out for ingrown toenail symptoms so you can care for it from the get-go. There are a few home remedies on how to get rid of nail infections as well.
Read this article to learn more!
What Is An Ingrown Toenail Infection?
Ingrown toenails occur when the corner tip / edge of your nail pierces into your skin and grows back into it. This condition has the potential to be very painful, and it can happen to pretty much anyone. Ingrown toenails are very common in big toes.
If left untreated, your simple ingrown toenail could turn into an ingrown toenail infection. This can be dangerous as the infection can sometimes spread to your foot’s underlying bone structure.
Keep in mind that if you suffer from diabetes, or other conditions that affect circulation, you’re at high risk for developing ingrown toenails. You can also have serious complications if it turns into an ingrown toenail infection. Check in with a podiatrist before it gets to that stage.
Ingrown Toenail Symptoms
The best way to avoid an ingrown toenail infection is by keeping a lookout for ingrown toenail symptoms. When you know the symptoms of ingrown toenail, you can nip it in the bud before it turns into a worse problem.
You may be dealing with an ingrown toenail if:
- You have tenderness / pain in your toe on one or both sides of the nail
- The area surrounding your toenail is red
- Your toe swells up around the nail
- You notice infection in the tissue around your nail
If you notice the above symptoms, visit a podiatrist and nip the issue at the bud before it turns into an ingrown toenail infection.
Ingrown Toenail Infection Symptoms
If you leave your ingrown toenail untreated, it could lead to an infection. This infection is potentially serious, and your symptoms can start off simple enough then escalate highly.
Keep a lookout for the following early symptoms:
- Pain on touching
- Pressure under the nail
- Hardening / Redness of skin around the nail
- Foul smell
- Oozing fluid / fluid buildup
- Pus or an abscess in affected toe
- Warmth emanating from the area around the nail
How to Get Rid Of Nail Infection
If you notice the first signs and symptoms listed above, don’t panic! There are a few home remedies you can use for minor infections. Here they are:
- Snakeroot Extract: Sometimes the best solutions are found in nature. The extract of this antifungal plant can be used to treat fungal nail infections, and has proved to be as effective as ciclopirox, a drug-store anti-fungal treatment.
- Ozone Oils: Oils like sunflower oil and olive oil are oils that contain the same gasses that exist in the ozone layer. Many studies have been conducted that have concluded that these “ozonized” oils are effective when it comes to treating nail fungus and may just be the best home remedy on how to get rid of a nail infection. In fact, a study took place in which sunflower oil had higher clinical effects than a common antifungal medication called ketoconazole.
- Oregano Oil: Another proof of the effectiveness of nature is oregano oil. It contains “thymol”, a naturally occurring phenol that is said to have antifungal properties. In treatments, this oil is also combined with tea tree oil, but this increases the risk of negative side effects, irritation, and allergic reaction.
- VapoRub: Though commonly used to treat colds and coughs, vicks vaporub has proved itself beneficial in treating fungal nail infections, in a study done in 2011.
If your infection has more serious symptoms, or persists after taking the above measures, visit a podiatrist immediately.
Though the above home remedies help fight minor infections, they aren’t as effective as visiting a podiatrist. A podiatrist will be able to tackle the infection and help you prevent it from recurring. If you think you may be suffering from an ingrown toenail infection and want to know how to get rid of your nail infection, Book an Appointment with Us! We’ll be able to help you with all your podiatric needs.